Hi you guys! It's been...
Well let's just say that I cut my hair twice and shaved my legs 30 times since the last time, right?
(Yeah 30, I'm italian, so what?)
Ok, so here's the interview with my friend Constance, wearing some outfits right from her amazing closet.
As if her closet wasn't amazing enough, she told me she has left most of her bags and dresses in Germany, at her mother's.
I'm seriously considering renting a german mother with a closet full of MiuMiu myself. Anyway.
The reason why I haven't updated my blog lately is because I got an editorial for a French magazine, and this means a lot of work: finding locations, models, makeup & hair, defining the style with my inseparable Lorraine and then of course shooting.
After the shooting comes the part I dread,
the editing (aka "the part in which your favorite pictures just don't look good together").
And then comes Photoshop, The Almighty.
Hell yeah, I passed the last two weeks in front of my Mac - holding firmly my graphic pen, listening to some trash euro pop and oldies - hoping to see the light.
Classic nerd stuff.
I'm not finished with the retouching yet, thus I haven't seen the light yet.
My complexion is starting to look greenish but I'm pretty sure I can't be synthethysing chlorophyll.
But you guys, you can go out, walk your dog, collect his crap, eat an icecream and do all the things you can't do when you're PhotoWashing your brain away so just please, do me a favor.
Next time someone says "Oh no problem! It can be easily fixed with Photoshop!", do reply on my behalf:
"Uh-uh! SHE will retouch it with Photoshop! "it" doesn't retouch a thing! And no, it ain't easy".
Thank you for clearing that up.
Wanna see my editorial pics? I know! I know! I cannot show you the pics because the magazine comes out in October - till then, just words and maybe a few backstage shots!
- Constance Astbury -
Interview & pics by Marina Hermanovna
Reminder: click onto my pics to enlarge them
('cause I'm worth it!)
1. Job/age/City your were born/City you live in?
I’m a fashion designer/ stylist/ painter/ creative thinker born in west Berlin. I actually live in L.A.
2. When/how did you decide fashion was your business?
When I got my first italian Vogue, at the age of 13.
3. Favorite designers?
I admire designers who follow the less the market rules – just like Martin Margiela and Miuccia Prada.
boots: Jil Sander
4. Last purchase, future purchase?
Egyptian gauze wrap-skirt found on a long weekend in the desert of Palm Springs. I only think of the present…
5. If your style was a city/a movie/a dish what would it be?
It would certainly be « La dolce vita » by Federico Fellini.
6. Name a style trend you could never follow or understand.
7. If your house took fire and you had 30 seconds to pack before escaping, what would you take?
My vintage Playboy sunglasses!
8. What do you build your style around?
My mood determines my style. Mostly.
9. I could live my life in….
Bikinis and havaianas flip flops from Brazil.
shoes: vintage Stella Mc Cartney
10. Name three items or trends you’ll never be caught wearing.
Never say never…
11. Some girls buy too may shoes, others are bagaholics. I know one who has 100 bras. What’s your fashion bulimia ?
Boots! I just can’t get me enough boots…
12. Tell me the three colors, three fabrics and the three brands you wear more often.
Black, Lila and Off White / Right now it's Givenchy, Balenciaga and Prada.
13. My youth fashion faux pas I’m not ashamed to reveal.
14. The best fashion advice I was given.
Just follow your instinct.
15. Personal style icon.
16. Tell me the name of someone famous whose style is overrated and one whose style is underrated.
I have to be political correct and keep those secrets unpublished.
17. Name a young designer off the chain.
Students in college.
18. When you’re designing you find inspiration in...
People and all medias.
19. Tell me a funny fashion anecdote so we can laugh a little.
Once I had to cut a dress like 3 seconds before the show and then pinn it back together faster than light, and just pretend everything was made on purpose…
shoes: vintage Marni
20. Fashion advice you want to give men.
Follow what suits your personality.
21. Miniskirt past 40, what are your feelings?
If you have the body and you know how to rock it, go for it.
22. How do you do your makeup; what about yout hair, how do you wear it/take care of it?
I love Shiseido's makeup. As for hair, I use products from Hawaii to keep it smooth.
23. My all time favorite beauty products and fragrances.
YSL nail polish and Odeur 54.
24. Cheap & chic : your feelings towards vintage and thrift shops.
Love ‘em ! One of my inspiration meccas.
25. H&M or Zara ?
No no no, I’d rather find something more original at thrift stores.
26. What’s the worst/best part of your job ?
When styles come out differently then you expected but in a surprisingly bad way…
And the best part is when everybody goes 'AHHHH' 'ooohhhhhh' 'amazing’ and any other word from the “joy vocabulary” - and all sorts of happy expressions on different faces. That speaks for itself.